Before Ramadan our church distributed a booklet called “30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World” by WorldChristian.com calling Christians to pray. The booklet contained extracts from A Wind in the House of Islam by David Garrison, which I found very informative. The House of Islam consists of those countries where Muslims are dominant and which practice Islamic laws. I have summed the data on the nine geo-cultural regions or “Rooms” in the House of Islam, as follows:
Together, these 9 Rooms comprised of almost 2,000 unreached people groups with a population of 3.2 billion, of which 1.5 billion or 49% are Muslims. How do you reach them? The booklet lists 10 bridges that God used to draw Muslims to Him, abstracted as follows:
1. Faith of the early missionaries, who only saw movements to Christ and “welcomed them from a distance” (Heb 11:13), becoming “a cloud of witnesses” (Heb 12:1) surrounding later missionaries.
2. Prayer – 69 of the 82 documented Muslim movements to Christ in the last 14 centuries took place within the past two decades, coinciding with the 22 years since the 30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World started.
3. Scripture – Is 55:11 So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. More Bible translation into Muslim languages for the people to hear and believe over the past decades than in the preceding 13 centuries.
4. Holy Spirit activity – Jn 16:8 And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment. How? Through dreams, visions, answered prayers, and divine encounters.
5. Faithful Christian Witness from all who share the gospel with Muslims.
6. Learning from the Body of Christ – where successful approaches in one region are applied to other regions.
7. Communication via contextualized gospel translations, so that Muslims can hear the gospel without having to overcome cultural barriers.
8. Discovery – when Muslims discover Christ for themselves, instead of being told they need the gospel and react by resisting.
9. Islam itself – through reading the Qur’an in their own language instead of in Arabic and realizing they need Christ.
10. Indigenization – when evangelization from external means becomes internalized and spread by itself.
It takes many bridges to reach Muslims. What ways have your church tried to do her share?